Electric kettles are popular with many coffee and tea lovers. They bring convenience, speed, and precision to the process of boiling water that no traditional kettle can match. However, keep a few factors in mind when buying an electric kettle.
Benefits of Using Electric Kettles
- Fast: Electric kettles bring water to a boil faster than either a stove-top or the microwave can. If you value efficiency, this is a big selling point in favor of electric kettles.
- Easy: Electric kettles with more temperature settings and features are quite intuitive to figure out. You have to add water and press the button.
- Electric kettles use less energy to boil water than a microwave or a traditional stove-top kettle.
Factors to Consider When Buying an Electric Kettle
Speed: When it comes to buying an electric kettle, speed is the name of the game. The whole point of buying an electric kettle is to save time and make your morning tea or coffee.
Most electric kettles will take somewhere in the range of three to four minutes to boil water. At the same time, some advertise being able to heat a mug’s worth within 90 seconds.
Check the manufacturer’s claims in the product description. Then, glance at reviews of the kettles you consider to see if what customers say bears those claims out.
Body: When buying a plastic electric kettle, ensure the kettle’s body is of food-grade quality, making it safe for you and your family.
Electric kettles come with metal, glass, plastic, or some combination of those three materials. Stainless steel and glass are primarily of higher quality than plastic. However, plastic won’t get as hot to the touch as the other two and make for more lightweight kettles.
If the part of the kettle the water touches is made of plastic, though, it may influence the flavor of your coffee or tea.
Noise: While electric kettles aren’t as loud as some kitchen appliances, they still make some noise when boiling the water, and many include beeping noises to let you know when your water is done.
Both types of noise can get annoying to customers. Particularly the beeping if it goes on for too long or there’s no easy way to turn it off.
Capacity: Kettles come with the capacity in liters. So, you cannot boil beyond the capacity in one heat session.
Kettles come with capacities of 0.75l, 1l, 1.5l, 1.75l. So, if we go for a higher capacity, we need to use a higher heat power to match the heating speed.
For example, if your 1l filled kettle to 1500W takes 3 mins to boil, the same will not be true for a kettle of higher capacity, say 1.5l or higher. This is because we require a higher rating to achieve boiling at the same time.
Extra Features: Temperature Control – The kettles with this feature can heat water to a particular pre-set temperature. This is very useful as some liquids like some teas (oolong, white tea) require a particular temperature to brew the best.
Keep Warm Function – This is an outstanding feature as an addition where the kettle can keep the contents warm. This is perfect if you want to drink warm water instantly and do not want to wait.
Filling the kettle and heating it in ‘keep warm’ will ensure water is warm for a long period. The kettle achieves this by reheating when the temperature of the contents goes below a certain point.
ORKK TOP SUGGESTIONS
Willsence Gooseneck Kettle Temperature Control, Pour Over Electric Kettle for Coffee and Tea, 100% Stainless Steel Inner, 1200W Rapid Heating, 0.8L, Built-in Stopwatch
- Temperature between 100°F and 212°F can be selected through dial
- Electrical kettle with variable temperature
- Accurate pouring is possible with curved spout of 0.8 cm
- Super comfortable handle allows you to pour with various techniques
- Desired temp can be maintained for up to 120 minutes
- LCD panel for reading temp
- Interior is of pure steel
- Super fast heating elements
- 0.6L water heated in 3 mints
- A bit costly
- Very efficient kettle, boils water instantly
- Heating element is not exposed, making it safe
- Made up of steel, plastic and silicone
- On and off switch, automatic shut down with a steam sensor
- Cant heat 8 cups of water at a time
- Water scale is see-through and acts as filter also
- Power rating is 1100 watt
- Plastic interior
- Water boils rapidly, 1.7L water can be boiled at a time
- Automatic shut down prevents the kettle from burning
- No cords, heating element is concealed
- Lid opens by a simple push of button
- Easy and safe pouring due to drip-free spout
- Water level can be viewed
- Can get rusted
Miroco Electric Kettle Temperature Control Stainless Steel 1.7 L Tea Kettle, BPA-Free Hot Water Boiler Cordless with LED Light, Auto Shut-Off
- 1.7L water can be boiled at a time
- Automatic shut off prevents the kettle from drying out
- LED indicator, cordless
- Keeps water hot after shut off
- Super fast boiling with 1500 watt
- Made of stainless steel
- If not properly washed, can get rust spots at base
HadinEEon Electric Kettle 1.5L, 100% Stainless Steel Interior Double Wall Electric Tea Kettle, 1500W Cool Touch Water Kettle
- 1.5L water capacity
- Automatic shut down prevents drying
- Interior of kettle is made of stainless steel
- Double walled kettle
- Power rating is 1500W
- Cordless serving
- Price is a bit high
Hommak Electric Kettle,1.7L 1500W Double Wall Cool Touch 304 Stainless Steel Kettle, BPA-Free Cordless Water Kettle with Auto-Shutoff
- Super fast boiling power
- Can boil 1.7L water in 5 minutes
- 1500w power
- Safe to use
- Interior is purely made of stainless steel
- Double walled with a wide mouth
- Prevents drying out by its advanced automatic shut off feature
- Steel Interior can get rusted if not properly cleaned
- Super fast boiling of water in just 3 minutes with 1200w power
- Power efficient
- double layer base ensures there is no leakage
- Gooseneck, slender spout ensures safe pouring
- Made of pure steel, no plastic
- Very simple to use
- Automatic shut down and anti-overheat features ensure safety
- Works silently
- Great kettle but size is small
- Temperature can be set between 140 and 212°F
- Power is 1000watt
- Temperature hold feature keeps water hot for 60 minutes
- Made of stainless steel and plastic
- Timer for count-up
- Easy and safe pouring with long Gooseneck
- Discoloration can happen, so periodic descaling with powder is recommended