Gas stoves are easy to maintain. However, when the flow of gas gets blocked, the burner heads can’t burn efficiently. Check the gas burners for irregular flame patterns and yellow flames.
These are the best indicators that it’s time to grab your gas stove cleaner and get to work. Other than that, cleaning your gas stove monthly should keep it working at its best.
Let’s start with the old-fashioned way – dish-washing soap and water. You need these things to clean your stove.
What You Need
- Soapy water
- Scrub brush
- Kitchen towel
- If you have a cooktop with a pilot light, you’ll first need to shut off the gas valve. Gas burners have a removable ceramic cap that diffuses the flames. Beneath the caps, the burner head sits atop the gas tube.
- Remove the caps and the burner heads by carefully lifting them straight up. Avoid damaging the ignition electrode if you have one.
- Wipe away any dry debris at this stage, and don’t scrub.
- Soak the grates and burns in soapy water by adding in a few drops of dish soap.
- Take a look at the fuel ports of the burners to see if they are clogged. If they are, use the brush to clean them up and unclog them.
- Clogged burners pose a hazard in the kitchen which is why this is important. Finish the cleaning process by rinsing the stovetop and the sponge. Use water to rinse, and dry with a kitchen towel to finish.
Baking soda helps remove tough stains, while lemon has antibacterial properties, acting as a natural disinfectant.
When you combine the two, they work wonders to remove even the finest particles and caked-up messes. The solution won’t scratch glass stovetops.
You can make it just by adding a handful of baking soda to the surface and cleaning the top with a lemon slice. Use a damp cloth to wipe away the stains after they loosen up and you’re done.
Mix baking soda and dish soap in equal parts. Blend until you get a slightly foamy paste. Apply this mix to the drip pans and let it sit in ziplock bags for one hour. Scrub and put the pans back in place. They’ll be squeaky clean in no time.
When cleaning, let the burners and grates dry up entirely and make sure there’s no moisture cloaking the surface. Put them back in place only after they’ve completely dried out.
ORKK TOP SUGGESTIONS
Weiman Ceramic and Glass Cooktop Cleaner – 12 Ounce 2 Pack – Daily Use Professional Home Kitchen Cooktop Cleaner and Polish for Induct
- This liquid formula is biodegradable
- Can easily clean grease, grime and dust
- Specially designed to clean glass and ceramic surfaces of stoves
- Safe for daily use
- Shines the countertops and glass surfaces
- This spray cleaner is for kitchen use only.